The First Name
The villages lie in the valley of the River Bourne, formerly known as the Winterbourne. It is so named because in its upper reaches it often dries up in summer, to flow again in winter.
The Second Name
The three Winterbournes, Gunner, Dauntsey and Earls, are named after Gonnora de la Mare, Roger Danteseye and the Earl of Salisbury, who held the manors in the thirteenth century. In 1934 they they were formed into the civil parish of Winterbourne, together with Hurdcott (formerly known as Winterbourne Hurdcott).
The Church of Saint Michael
The Church of Saint Michael stands at the boundary of Winterbourne Dauntsey and Winterbourne Earls. It replaced the old Church of Saint Michael off Tanner’s Lane in Winterbourne Earls and the Church of Saint Edward off Gater’s Lane in Winterbourne Dauntsey. The present church was built in 1867-68, using material from the demolished medieval churches.